Does this mean if you weren't born in the cloud, you'll never be as good as those who are?
When thinking about building from scratch or modernizing an existing technology environment, we tend to see one of a few different things happening:
- Staff will read up, and you will try it on your own.
- Managers will hire someone who says they have done it before.
- Leaders will engage a large software vendor or consulting firm to help get them to the promised land.
While all of these strategies can work, we often find one of the following happens:
- Trial and error result in very expensive under delivery.
- Existing teams become disaffected and resistive because they perceive being left behind.
- Something gets delivered, but costs go up, and reliability goes down.
- New hires come in, make the magic happen, and then move on without leaving enough knowhow to continue without them.
- Vendors use proprietary software, and a new age of vendor lock-in ensues.
There is a better way of approaching modernizing a business-focused, legacy world. Our core approach at FP complete is:
- Be vendor agnostic
- Build a road map based on business outcomes
- Deeply understand and implement DevOps concepts
- Be ruthlessly focused on architecture from the start
- Containerize everything*
- Virtualize everything*
While this approach is straightforward, staying focused on outcomes is the key:
- The business logic is the key to build your ecosystem once and properly so you can focus on what matters.
- Integrate security by design as security is a non-non-negotiable.
- All alerts and logs centrally as managing and operating via complete transparency is key.
- Ensure Containers are made to scale horizontally and be fault-tolerant from the start.
- Ensure you are on-prem and cloud-agnostic.
- Be open-source but get enterprise support.
Check out our Quick Guide to DevOps
How do you get help without breaking the bank, compromising your values, or getting locked in?
At FP Complete, we believe the way to get started is to:
- Build DevOps expertise, acquire DevOps Tooling.
- Get help constructing your roadmap to ensure technical focus aligns with business results.
- Get help designing how your applications will get containerized to be cloud-ready.
- Acquire Enterprise support for your newly open-sourced world.
FP Complete has a unique track record in these activities. We are not built on recurring revenue from long term consulting. We are built on helping our customers build better software, run better technology operations, and achieve better business outcomes. We come from diverse backgrounds and have serviced a myriad of industries. We often find that others have already solved many of our client's problems, and our expertise lies in matching existing solutions to places where they are needed most.
So, what is the best way to get started:
- Please send us a mail or call us up.
- We will walk through your aspirations and provide a high-level road map for achieving your goals at no cost.
- If you like what you see, invite us in for a POC based on a 100% ROI.
- Scale from there.
If you are unsure about the claims in this post, shoot me an email...you won't get a bot response… you'll get me.
*Note: the exceptions to these rules are usually around ultra-low latency requirements.
Do you like this blog post and need help with DevOps, Rust or functional programming? Contact us.